"Sit down and feed, and welcome to our table." -William Shakespeare

Monday, May 7, 2012

Sprouted Spelt Sourdough Starter, day 2

Yay, the spelt berries sprouted!  I drained them after 2 hours of soaking, then covered them.  You don't want to drown the grain, just hydrate it enough to let it start coming back to life.  I rinsed them at breakfast time then covered till lunch:
You can't really see in the photo, but a little white tail is 'sprouting' from each berry.  That means the seeds have come alive!

Then I blended the grain with 1 cup water in my Blentec on the "Grind Grain" setting.  I got a nice slurry, above.  The bubbles are from the Blendtec, but in a few dyas they will be back, indicating the presence of the wild yeast that will be coming to live here.

Come back and see us tomorrow!


"All sorrows are less with bread." 
~Miguel de Cervantes, Don Quixote

1 comment: